Q: What is the Light My Way worship service?
A: Since 2004, Light My Way has been a vital recovery and restoration service at Sonrise Church.
Q: Who attends the Light My Way worship service?
A: Anyone can attend as long as they are over 18. This safe place allows the addition of anyone in recovery, ex-prisoners, their families and their friends to come and hear the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
Q: Where is this worship service held?
A: The Light My Way worship service currently meets at the Sonrise Church Hillsboro Campus, located at 6701 NE Campus Way, Hillsboro, OR 97124. We are served by both the Orenco/NW 231st Avenue MAX stop and Tri-Met Buses #47 & 48.
Q: When is this service?
A: Our service is on Sunday afternoon. It begins with a meal at 4:00pm and moves into a time of worship and teaching from 5:00-6:00pm. Our SafeCampus procedures operate on Sundays from 3-7pm. The extra hour allows for setup and tear down.
Q: What is a SafeCampus?
A: Sonrise Church has several “safe” policies. Our SafeKids policy provides children and youth with safe guidelines for both participants and leaders. All leaders and workers in our children and youth ministry have passed a police background check. Our SafeAdults policy provides adults working in ministry situations with safe guidelines for ministering to others. Our SafeCampus provides a safe place for people attending our weekend worship services.
For the Light My Way service we employ our SafeCampus policies and add the
- We provide a separate entrance and exit for people attending Light My Way.
- We provide separate restrooms for people attending Light My Way.
- We clearly post which portion of the building is being used by Light My Way.
- We either lock appropriate doors or provide other dividers to clearly identify which part of the building is closed to those under the age of 18.
- We have security personal that monitor the entire campus (both inside and out) that are in communication with the security team leader.
- The Light My Way ministry is clearly identified with signs that signal our activities (both inside and outside the facility). • We identify Light My Way on our church calendar for those wishing to use the facility on Sunday afternoon.
- Due to the number of activities that occur at Sonrise church, there are times when people under the age of 18 will be in different parts of the building or outside on the property but they will not be allowed in the portion of the facility set aside as a safe campus.
Q: Is it true that this is a service for sexual predators?
A: No. This worship service is for anyone who wants to attend and has a very diverse recovery crowd. Approximately 10% of our attenders are registered sex offenders. Currently there are no sexual predators in attendance at the Light My Way service.
Studies have shown that those who actively engage in a life-changing environment will have a far better chance of healing and healthy survival. Recently The Oregonian (7/29/12) wrote:
Of the roughly 500-600 sex offenders who leave Oregon prisons each year, only 4 percent are caught committing another sex crime in the state during their first three years of freedom, state records show…Decades of research have turned sex offender management into a science…Overall, recidivism [reoffending] rates for sex offenders are low compared with rates from people convicted of other types of felonies…If they’re going to treatment and are in a positive, pro-social support system, those people are doing things to reduce their risk.
Q: Will I be safe at Light My Way?
A: Absolutely! In the eight years since our beginning we have not had in security issues either inside or outside our campus. We endorsed by the Washington County Department of Corrections and communicate frequently with their Parole Officers and local police.
Q: What services do you provide for those in need?
A: We may be able to assist with mentoring, education, housing referrals, medical, and dental needs and we have lists of felony friendly employers available.
Q: If I have more questions whom do I contact?
A: For more information contact Pastor Clifford Jones, cliffordj @isonrise.com. If you would like to experience the transformation that occurs at Light My Way, please feel invited to attend this service.
Sonrise Church has a clear non-discrimination policy and reaches out to anyone who is going through recovery from drug, alcohol, and sexual addictions. In addition, we actively serve ex-prisoners and their families. We do all of this as an act of service to Jesus Christ and as a contribution to restoring peace to our cities and communities endangered by crime. We believe that the best way to transform our communities is to transform the people within those communities.